Saturday, November 26, 2011

Before You Create Your Site, Checkout Your Competition

I don't mean do competition and keyword research like I talked about in my previous WSO on advanced keyword and competition research. That's a different type of research. This is research you need to take before creating your site. I mean, actually going over the sites ranking in the top 10 of Google for your main keywords to see what they are doing.

You want to be able to beat them at their own game. Some of the best design tips I've found have been through looking at what others are doing. I don't profess to be a genius at this stuff. I just find something that I hear is working or looks like it could work and I test the living daylights out of it and tweak it until it's insanely profitable.

Yup, you're right; I spend A LOT of time doing this stuff. When doing this, I check pretty much all the top 10 sites.

The things I check are;

A) Are they promoting with Adsense or affiliate programs? If they are promoting an affiliate program, which one and should I be promoting it?

B) What other keywords they are targeting that might be useful in my site

C) How they design their front page. If it looks good, I'll take design elements and placements into account when I create my sites (Never steal content or graphics).

D) What type of content they are using (video, articles, etc) and if it's good quality. If the content quality is poor, I know I can really dominate this sub niche.

E) How they structure their sites navigation. If I like what I see, I implement some of their ideas.

F) Are they using social plug ins to get people to like and talk about their site.

All these things give me a good idea of what I should be doing. If everyone in a niche is doing something a particular way, I'll try it out myself.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment